There are a number of reception stations around Australia which acquire data from environmental satellites. These stations are operated by a number of agencies. The aim of the Satellite Remote Sensing facility is to integrate the data from all these reception stations and serve derived data products to the Australian research community.
- A new reception antenna will be installed at the Australian Institute of Marine Science near Townsville to extend data coverage into the equatorial part of the Eastern Pacific Ocean .
- The existing TERSS antenna at Hobart will be refurbished to allow continuing access to data covering the southern ocean.
- The Australian Bureau of Meteorology will develop a new sea surface temperature product called L2P ( GHRSST-PP for details).
- CSIRO in conjunction with a number of agencies, universities and eMII will lead the development of a web based system to access the marine data products obtained from the integrated reception system. Details for the development of this web data access system can be found at www.eoc.csiro.au/aodaac
- A beta version of the Australian Oceans Distributed Active Archive Center portal is now available for testing at ao-daac . This a beta system and at present only has the ability to server a limited SST dataset.