To find out more about Operational Oceanography and the FOO see here.
The Steering Committee has organised the inaugural Australian Forum for Operational Oceanography (FOO 2015), with generous support from the Department of Industry and Science. FOO 2015 will be held at the Esplanade Hotel, Fremantle, WA on the 21-23 July 2015. Details can be at www.FOO2015.com
An exciting and innovative Conference Program has been organised based around the following Themes and Topics:
- Theme 1 – What is Operational Oceanography and what does it mean in the Australian context?
- Theme 2 – Assessing Present Capabilities - what can we do now?
- Theme 3 – Uses of Operational Oceanography
- Topic 1 – Emergency Response
- Topic 2 – Coastal and Marine Management, Ports and Shipping
- Topic 3 – Oil Spills
- Theme 4 – Identifying and Addressing Future Challenges and Opportunities
- Theme 5 – Where to next?
Abstracts for Invited Talks are now available on the conference website, including Keynote addresses to be given by:
- Colin Grant, CG Metocean Consulting Limited UK
- Art Allen, Office of Search and Rescue - United States Coast Guard, and
- Ray Canterford, Bureau of Meteorology - Deputy Director Hazards, Warnings and Forecasts.
Abstracts are called for talks under Theme 4 “Identifying and Addressing Future Challenges and Opportunities” addressing the following key challenges identified by the FOO Steering Committee:
- Winds - squall forecasting, climate change
- Waves - long period swells, internal waves, climate change
- Currents - tendency to miss peak events, and generally underestimate
- Improving three to seven day forecasting in general
To be considered for a talk in this session, please complete and submit the Abstract Template by 31st May 2015. Participants are also encouraged to submit and abstract under any Theme for the Poster Session at the end of Day 1.
The inaugural Forum is by invitation, and will be limited to 150 participants. However, if you have not received an invitation and would like to attend please contact the FOO Steering Committee Co-chair, Tim.Moltmann(at)imos.org.au, or Executive Support emma.sommerville(at)utas.edu.au