GOOS Regional Alliances
IMOS is one of thirteen Regional Alliances of the Global Ocean Observing System (GOOS). Collectively they cover the Australasian region, East Asia, the Pacific, Indian and Atlantic basins, the Caribbean, Europe, and North and South America.
GOOS Regional Alliances (GRAs) cover the areas shown on the map below. Each GRA website is accessible by clicking on the relevant part of the map.
Map showing Regional Alliances of the Global Ocean Observing System. IMOS is one of thirteen Regional Alliances
Every two years, the leaders of the GOOS Regional Alliances meet to review progress and make plans for next-stage implementation of the Global Ocean Observing System.
The most recent meeting was held in Heraklion, Greece on 22-24 September 2015. The meeting report is available here.
The next meeting will be held in mid-2017 at a venue to be determined.
Between Forum meetings held every two years, GOOS Regional Alliances monitor progress on agreed actions by holding intercessional teleconferences three to four times a year.
The Chair of the GRA Council is an ex officio member of the GOOS Steering Committee/Executive Committee, and is required to provide reports to these meetings.
Intercessional teleconferences will be timed to ensure that GOOS reports properly reflect the breadth and depth of activity across all Regional Alliances.
GOOS Regional Alliance Projects
The GOOS Steering Committee has identified focused, finite lifetime, development projects as an effective way to drive the development of the Global Ocean Observing System. The Regional Alliances are keen to play a role in this development. Details of GOOS Regional Alliance Projects will be provided here as they are developed.
Participants in GOOS are encouraged to regard it as a global system for their collective benefit, and to allow their data to be exchanged freely to the greatest degree possible.
EuroGOOS has worked with the European Marine Observation and Data Network (EMODnet) project to create a data portal that allows you to discover and access data from a number of the GOOS Regional Alliances. The data portal is accessible via EMODnet. Select 'INITIATIVES' from the left-hand menu.
- 2015 Review of GOOS Regional Alliances (GRA) Survey by LK Glover (PDF 533KB)
- GRA Modelling Inventory – Overview and Analysis (PDF 317KB)
- EuroGOOS have created a searchable map based on this inventory.
- Summary Analysis of GRA Assessments 2013 (PDF 311KB)
- GOOS Regional Policy 2013 (PDF 309KB)
- English version only. French, Spanish and Russian versions available from the GOOS website.
Some GOOS Regional Alliances hold regular meetings and welcome others to attend. Requests should be made through the Chair/Director of the relevant Regional Alliance.
- The next IMOS Annual Planning Meeting will be held in Hobart, Tasmania on 8-10 March 2016. See details of previous meetings.
- The next US IOOS meeting will be held in Silver Spring, Maryland on 1-3 March 2016.