Category: Home Slider
What is IMOS and why do we need it?
In our latest 'IMOS in MOcean' video, IMOS Director, Tim Moltmann, explains how IMOS is a unique collaboration of Australia’s leading research organisations, deploying a network of advanced technologies to deliver data about Australia’s oceans.
Meet the people behind the variety of marine observations that make up the IMOS data collection. Today, IMOS introduces the latest in our series of videos called 'IMOS in MOcean'.
IMOS Director, Tim Moltmann, gives an overview of what IMOS is and why Australia (and the world) needs it. Mr Moltmann explains how IMOS undertakes systematic, sustained, and scientifically-robust observations of Australia’s vast and valuable ocean estate and converts these observations into data, time series, products and analyses that can be used and reused for broad societal benefit.
Other videos in this series are:
- Shark movements – how tracking sharks has revealed startling new insights into their behaviour
- Southern Ocean and Climate – shows how processes in the Southern Ocean play a key role in global climate
- Antarctic glacial melting – Data from IMOS funded moorings off the Totten and Mertz glaciers show that warm water beneath the ice shelf is causing ice loss
- Ocean Data portal – a guide to accessing IMOS data collections as easy as 1,2,3
- OceanCurrent – the people behind the valuable up-to-date ocean maps.
The aim of this collection of videos is to represent the diversity of IMOS data collections and collectors, partners and end-users.
Keep an eye out for future episodes and do let us know if you have an idea for a new video.