- Talk to UTAS Honours Students, Hobart, Invited Talk, 18 July 2017
Honours talk … On 18 July Roger Proctor contributed a talk to IMAS Honours students titled “ Introducing IMOS” ; 25 students in Hobart and by videolink to 5 students in Launceston.
- Director of AODN attended the Forum for Operational Oceanography (FOO) in Freemantle, Western Australia, 25-27 July 2017
This was the second Forum meeting, following the inaugural forum in 2015. Programme details can be found at http://www.foo.org.au/events/foo-2017/.
The FOO is a forum for -
- discussions relating to operational oceanography, including requirements of stakeholders, industry and interested parties, and for
- scientific and technical discussions of common interest to practitioners working in relevant areas or drawing on products from operational oceanography service providers.
The Forum, co-hosted by IMOS, attracted more than 100 participants from across the four ‘pillars’ of FOO, namely Marine Industries, Government Agencies, Service Providers and R&D providers. The AODN co-authored a paper on the current availability of surface wave data presented by Mark Hemer (CSIRO) on behalf of the Surface Waves Working Group. A notable outcome from the Forum, from an AODN perspective, is the initiation of a new Working Group on Data Sharing.
- DataTas Group Meeting, Hobart, Invited Talk, 27 July 2017
The AODN were invited to speak on data management to the newly formed DataTas Group at their 2nd meeting on July 27 held in the IMAS Waterfront Building. Natalia Atkins presented on the process of publishing your data in a public data repository, and what happens to it from there, all the way through to other people discovering and reusing your data. Other speakers to present were Steve Diggs from Scripps Institution of Oceanography, discussing public data “rescue” efforts in the US, and Damien Irving from CSIRO presenting on how to “write a reproducible paper” in relation to report of computational results.